Exploring Ukraine’s prowess in long-range strikes against Russian forces and assets.
Ukraine’s military capabilities to carry out long-range strikes against Russian troops and installations have become a crucial element in today’s geopolitical landscape. Despite facing challenges in the supply chain and funding from the US, Ukraine has managed to not only maintain but advance its long-range capabilities. This article explores Ukraine’s arsenal and strategic advancements in its military capabilities.
Sustaining Assets from 2023 and Introducing New Weapons in 2024
Ukraine has been able to withstand long-range strikes by keeping the assets it acquired in 2023 and introducing new weaponry in 2024. Developing its own long-range systems, including Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), has been crucial in enhancing the country’s offensive capabilities.
SCALP/Storm Shadow Cruise Missiles: A Cornerstone of Ukrainian Arsenal
To enhance Ukraine’s long-range capabilities, it is crucial to support existing systems such as SCALP/Storm Shadow cruise missiles. Recently, France and Britain have announced their plans to provide Ukraine with additional SCALP and Storm Shadow missiles, which have proven to be highly effective in their respective countries. Expect further strikes on important Russian facilities, especially in territories such as Crimea that are currently under occupation.
Enter the GLSDB: New Models for 2024
This year brings the introduction of new long-range systems for Ukrainian troops, with the much-anticipated GLSDB taking the spotlight. The M142 HIMARS anti-tank missile, designed to work seamlessly with the GLSDB, signifies a significant advancement. The capability of the SDB glide bombs, with a striking range of up to 150 km, adds a versatile dimension to Ukraine’s offensive potential.
AASM Hammer Glide Bombs: A French Connection
France’s commitment to monthly transfers of 50 AASM Hammer glide bombs is another feather in Ukraine’s military cap. Of particular interest is the possibility of acquiring a version with an extended flight range of 150-200 km. The ongoing efforts by Safran Electronics Defense to enhance bomb range through a new rocket accelerator may further bolster Ukraine’s arsenal.
Ukraine’s Bold Strikes on Russian Territories in 2024
Ukraine has recently shown an increase in its capabilities in striking Russian territories despite political limitations. They have targeted important infrastructure in Ust-Luz and Tuapse, causing significant economic damage. These precision strikes have also had an impact on the mood of Russian business elites, especially with elections coming up.
Impact on Russian Oligarchs and Military
Ukraine’s new long-range capabilities enable precise targeting, causing economic losses for Russian oligarchs. The war initiated by Putin, coupled with the inability of Russian security forces to secure their territory, jeopardizes oligarchs’ profits. Simultaneously, Ukrainian strikes disrupt Russian troop accumulations, headquarters, and even the Black Sea Fleet, undermining Russian military prowess.
Reducing the Kremlin’s Will to Continue the War
The demonstrative defeats inflicted by Ukraine, facilitated by Western weapon supplies and indigenous developments, directly contribute to diminishing the Kremlin’s resolve to sustain the conflict. As Ukraine delivers blows to both military and economic fronts, the leadership in the Kremlin faces increased pressure to reconsider the continuation of the war.
In conclusion, Ukraine’s long-range capabilities are not just a military strategy but a geopolitical game-changer. The combination of existing assets, new weaponry, and strategic strikes on Russian territories positions Ukraine as a force to be reckoned with. As the conflict unfolds, the impact of Ukraine’s military advancements reverberates beyond the battlefield.
- Q: How does Ukraine’s use of Western weapons impact the conflict?
- A: Ukrainian forces limit the use of Western weapons to occupied territories, influencing the geopolitical dynamics without escalating the conflict.
- Q: What role do UAVs play in Ukraine’s long-range capabilities?
- A: UAVs serve a pivotal role in covering distances of about 1,000 kilometers, enabling precise strikes on Russian territories.
- Q: Are there diplomatic implications to Ukraine’s strikes on Russian oligarchs?
- A: Yes, Ukraine’s targeting of economic assets impacts diplomatic relations, especially concerning Russian oligarchs.
- Q: How does the GLSDB contribute to Ukraine’s offensive capabilities?
- A: The GLSDB introduces a new dimension with the M142 HIMARS anti-tank missile, extending the striking range to 150 km.
- Q: Can Ukraine’s long-range strikes influence Russian elections?
- A: Yes, the precision strikes on key Russian facilities can influence the mood of Russian business elites in the run-up to elections.