Frigate vs. Destroyer
It may be too much to distinguish between a frigate, a destroyer, and a corvette for someone not familiar with the armed forces. In fact, for someone who is a total outsider, all three ships look the same, with minor differences here and there. However, there are many differences between a frigate and a destroyer. This article highlights these differences to enable readers to realize the importance of these ships for a navy.
A frigate is a large ship (medium-sized with reference to the destroyers) that performs the role of a warship, as it can be an anti-submarine ship or an aircraft carrier. It is a heavy combatant (2000-5000 tones) and can perform many types of missions in a marine environment with a high threat. A frigate is capable of protecting other ships in a fleet. In convoy, a frigate performs the role of the flagship.
The destroyers are the largest and heaviest surface battles that rule over the world ocean in modern times. They are enormous (5000-10000 tons) and cost more than $ 700 million each. It is a warship that has the ability to protect other ships from a navy as well as merchant ships.
It is packed with the latest sensors and modern warfare to operate in a high-threat environment. There are radars to pick up enemy missiles and combat systems that can disgrace the entire army’s capabilities to a small nation. Guided missiles are the main attacking features of the destroyers, although there are also anti-submarine and air force cannons deployed on a destroyer.
Frigate vs. Destroyer
- Destroyers are much larger and heavier than frigates.
- Officers deployed on frigates are younger than those deployed on destroyers.
- Destroyers have much more advanced defense and attack capabilities than frigates.
- Destroyers can cost much more than frigates.
- FF is the abbreviation used for frigates, while DD and DDG are the abbreviations used for the destroyers, depending on the attack systems and whether they are controlled rocket destroyers or not.
- • While a frigate’s primary function is as a convoy or naval protector, a destroyer is primarily a fighter with guided missiles and air weapons and submarines.