The European Commission said on Monday it was reviewing all of its development aid to the Palestinians, worth 691 million euros.
Crisis Management Commissioner Janez Lenarcic said he “strongly” condemned the attack but that “it is imperative to protect civilians.”
“EU humanitarian aid to #Palestinians in need will continue as long as necessary,” he said on social media.
His announcement came after Oliver Varhelyi, European Commissioner for Neighborhood and Enlargement, said the Commission was reviewing its entire development aid portfolio for the Palestinians and suspending payments.
The European Commission said on Monday it was reviewing all its development aid to the Palestinians, worth 691 million euros ($729 million), and immediately suspending all payments following the Hamas attack on Israel.
“The scale of terror and brutality against Israel and its people is a turning point,” declared Oliver Varhelyi, European Commissioner for Neighborhood and Enlargement, in a message posted on social media. “Everything cannot go on as usual.”
Hamas militants killed 700 Israelis and kidnapped dozens in the deadliest raid since the Yom Kippur War 50 years ago. This prompted Israel to retaliate with its heaviest bombing of Gaza, leaving more than 400 dead.
Varhelyi said all new budget proposals for Palestinian aid were also postponed until further notice.
“The fundamentals of peace, tolerance and coexistence must now be addressed,” he said.
“Hate speech, violence and the glorification of terror have poisoned the minds of too many people,” he added. “We need action, and we need it now.”
Earlier on Monday, Austria said it was suspending tens of millions of euros in aid to the Palestinians in response to the attack on Israel to ensure funds did not end up in the wrong hands while Germany reviewed its support.