The Israeli army said it would gradually withdraw some of the 300,000 reserve soldiers participating in the war in the Gaza Strip but warned that the conflict would continue.
During a meeting with Israeli soldiers in the Gaza Strip on January 1, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant announced that “life will return to normal” in residential areas near the border that Hamas attacked in early October. /2023.
Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), said a day earlier that the country would withdraw part of the 300,000 reserve soldiers participating in the war in the Gaza Strip. This decision comes in the context that Israel is looking for ways to boost the economy affected by the war.
“Some reserve soldiers will return to their families and jobs this week,” Mr. Hagari said. “This will significantly reduce the burden on the economy and allow soldiers to concentrate their strength on operations in 2024, as hostilities will continue and they will still be called up.”
According to Mr. Hagari, the Israeli army is adjusting its operational plans and necessary forces for each area in the Gaza Strip to carry out its mission in the best possible way. Mr. Hagari also warned that fighting in the Gaza Strip could last throughout this year.
Israel launched a retaliation campaign after Hamas attacked the southern regions of the country, killing about 1,140 people and injuring more than 8,700. According to health authorities in the Gaza Strip, fighting left nearly 22,000 people here dead and more than 57,600 injured.
Fighting in the Gaza Strip has raised concerns about a broader conflict in the region, as many Iran-backed armed groups in the region have repeatedly attacked Israel to show solidarity with Hamas.