Israel said the ceasefire and hostage exchange agreement with Hamas would take place on November 24, one day later than previously announced.
“Negotiations to release hostages are continuing. The release of hostages will be carried out according to the previous agreement between the two sides and will not take place before November 24,” the Israeli Security Council stated on November 23. /11. Israeli officials said the start of the ceasefire agreement with Hamas was also delayed until tomorrow.
The Hamas group has not commented on this information.
Musa Abu Marzouk, a senior official of Hamas, said on November 22 that the group would cease fire with the Israeli army from 10:00 a.m. on November 23. Israeli officials announced on the same day that the ceasefire and hostage exchange agreement with Hamas would take effect on November 23.
According to the approved agreement, the two sides will cease fire for 4 days, and Hamas will release at least 50 hostages during this period; in return, Israel will release at least 150 Palestinian prisoners.
Tel Aviv pledged not to attack or capture people in the Gaza Strip during the four-day ceasefire. However, the Israeli government affirmed that it would continue its fight against Hamas after the end of the agreement.
The ceasefire could be extended if more hostages are released. According to Israel’s proposal, for every 10 hostages released, there will be an additional day of ceasefire.
The conflict between the two sides broke out on October 7, when Hamas suddenly attacked Israeli territory, killing about 1,200 people and 240 civilians taken hostage. Israel responded with air strikes and ground attacks on the Gaza Strip. Health authorities in the Gaza Strip said the conflict left about 14,100 people dead, including thousands of children.