Iran has no plans to 'retaliate against Israel'
Member of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Tehran in November 2023. Photo: AFP

Iranian officials said that the UAV attacks in Isfahan originated within its territory and that the country has no plans to “retaliate against Israel.”

“We have no signs that this is an attack from abroad. Intruders inside Iranian territory may have carried out the raid,” an Iranian official told Reuters on April 19 at the same time. Denied the possibility of a “retaliation against Israel” attack.

Previously, Iran activated its air defense system and announced that it had shot down three unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) over the city of Isfahan, in the central region of the country, where important nuclear facilities are located.

Iranian military officials in Isfahan said air defense forces shot down “suspicious equipment” outside the air base, causing several explosions in the sky, but said the incident did not cause any damage. 

Iranian state media quoted analysis from experts in the country as saying that the attack in Isfahan may have been caused by “domestic forces” using small drones, not missiles or long-range UAVs launched from Israel. , according to Al Jazeera.

Previously, international media quoted unnamed officials in the US government as saying that Israel conducted a missile attack on Iran in response to the attack on April 13, when Iran fired hundreds of UAVs and missiles into Israeli territory.

A spokesman for Iran’s space agency said air defense forces shot down three propeller drones in the area, leading to the decision to issue a raid alert early this morning.

The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office refused to comment on information about the attack, while the US government has not officially spoken about the incident.

Many governments have sent messages calling on Israel and Iran not to act rashly, fearing the situation could get out of control and escalate into a regional war after a series of explosions in Isfahan.

Italy’s Foreign Minister called on all sides to “completely cool down” tensions and “be careful not to let escalation happen”, while French Deputy Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot also gave a similar message.

The British government warned that the incident in Isfahan “is not clear” and suggested that all parties focus on reducing the risk of conflict.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lam Kiem affirmed that Beijing is willing to “continue to play a constructive role in reducing tensions” in the Middle East, emphasizing that China opposes any action that escalates tensions.