Houthi said US and British forces launched more than 70 attacks on Yemen, killing 5 members of this armed group.
“73 raids left 5 of our members dead and 6 injured,” Yahya Saree, spokesman for the Houthi forces, said on social network X today.
Houthi announced casualties after US and British forces on the same day launched a series of missiles to attack armed group positions in Yemen. Saree announced that the Houthis would respond to the attack and continue to target ships bound for Israel.
Houthi officials previously said the US and UK targeted the Al-Dailami air base north of the capital, Sanaa, the area around Hodeidah International Airport in western Yemen, and the force’s base in the northern province. Saada is an international airport and has several locations in Taiz province, as well as the airport in the northern town of Abs.
Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a member of the Houthi Supreme Political Council, described the US and UK raids as “brutal and terrorist,” showing that the US is “manipulating aggressive activities” in Gaza and Yemen.
France, Germany, and Denmark supported the moves of the US and UK, while China and Saudi Arabia called on all parties to exercise restraint and avoid escalating tensions. Saudi Arabia is a supporter of the Houthi opposition in the nearly decade-long conflict in Yemen.
Iran and Oman condemn the US and UK. Iran supports several armed groups in the Middle East, including Hamas and the Houthis. Russia criticized the raid as an act of “disregard for international law, escalating tensions in the region.” Moscow has requested an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council about the situation.
The attack on January 11 was considered the first time the US attacked the Houthi forces in Yemen since 2016. US President Joe Biden announced that he would not hesitate to deploy additional measures to protect lives and flow trade across the Red Sea.
The US previously established an international alliance with more than 20 countries, including the UK, to participate in responding to Houthi raids on cargo ships in the Red Sea. The Houthis warned that any country involved in the US-led international coalition was at risk of being targeted.
After the Israeli war and Hamas broke out in early October 2023, Houthi attacked and captured a number of ships linked to Israel in the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandab Strait and launched ballistic missiles and UAVs targeting Israel. The group said their actions were intended to show support for the Palestinians.
Increasing attacks on cargo ships have caused many shipping companies to stop sending ships on the route through the Red Sea, instead moving around South Africa’s Cape of Good Hope. This significantly increases the journey time and cost of freight trains.
On January 10, the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution condemning Houthi raids on ships passing through the Red Sea and demanding that they stop the above actions. Houthis called the Security Council resolution a “political game” and accused the US of violating international law.